Pages

1/18/2013

Business of Design

After five weeks filled with eating and sleeping at regular hours, skiing, traveling, Hulu watching, Netflix watching, and novel reading, the new semester is finally upon us!

The week 0 assignment for the Business of Design class is to write what we're NOT looking forward to about the class. So here it is.

Part of the pre-class survey asked about our proficiency with Microsoft Excel. I assume that means we will need to use Excel for the class. I am not looking forward to relying on any Microsoft product, least of all PowerPoint, Excel, or Word.

I finished my undergraduate education in June 2005 and started my graduate education in July 2012...meaning I have seven years experience working as a designer. I know I have plenty to learn about business, but I am not looking forward to (re)learning the basics one picks up simply by working as a designer.

For this class we work in small teams for the whole semester. My team is made up of talented, unique, and hilarious folk. I know that we will be a great team because I get along with all of them and know that they are hard working. Buuuuuut.... It just so happens that they are all international students. I am worried this means the heaviest part of the writing and presenting will fall on me, which I am not looking forward to. I'm an introvert!!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Rachel - great post. Compiling the teams was a nightmare. We spent hours trying to balance skill sets, experience, gender and preference for team mates. Nevertheless, we know there are some traits we missed - such as which students are international. We'll do our best to help you out in balancing the writing workload (plus there's not much writing needed).

    As for Msft products, no need to use them. You're welcome to use Google Apps or Apple's suite of tools. They are all very similar. If your point is that you don't want to use word processing, presentation tools or spreadsheets...well, that's more difficult. These are crucial tools of the trade for any designer who wants to influence others in an organization.

    ReplyDelete