Pages

3/31/2013

[Business of Design] Social Networks

Blog on which social network you currently find most engaging and why
Yelp, hands down.

I use Facebook, sure, but I wouldn't say I enjoy it. Most times I log into Facebook it's because someone has tagged me in a photo, or because I'm procrastinating on homework. I get sucked in and an hour later, when I log off, I feel guilty for spending that hour reading my Facebook feed when I should have been reading my homework.

Yelp, on the other hand, delivers a tangible benefit and I am always glad to use it. In my experience, the crowd of Yelpers have never been wrong in their ratings of a restaurant. And Yelp gives me power -- if I have a bad experience at a restaurant, I know my opinion can make a difference. Last of all, I appreciate Yelp in the sea of social networks because it doesn't take more from me than I intend to give. For example, I do happen to have a registered account with Yelp, but an account is not necessary to find places or to read reviews. For those who want to participate more by reviewing more places, Yelp offers perks. With Yelp, can quickly complete my intended task without extraneous distractions. That's a good enough perk for me.

1 comment:

  1. thanks, Rachel - good post. I'm a fan of Yelp as well. Love how they integrate mapping. I feel like I can assess almost anything on the fly.

    ReplyDelete