Pages

3/01/2014

Thesis Meetings: 2/25/14

In this week's thesis meeting Scott and I pretty much just went over the notes from my mid-term crit and discussed my next steps.

Comments from critique:
How do I connect the content of the piece with the content of the explorations?
3D printing and replicas. Be sure I understand the benefits and drawbacks.
What is the artist perspective? Meet with CCA faculty as planned but stay focused on what I'm doing.
Do I want to stick with Cézanne's apples or choose different work depending on the exploration?
How does this happen in the real world?


Successful examples to investigate:
Rembrandt room at the Rijksmuseum
da Vinci museum in Vegas

The two examples above sound like they are examples of what I am trying to create and are proof that when a multi-modal story is presented it is successful and memorable. I am not trying to create something new and novel, rather, trying to explore and explain the necessity of a mult-modal art museum from the perspective of accessibility.

My next milestone is to create a pop-up experience at the deYoung Fine Arts Museum. I plan to have a number of explorations focused around a few pieces of work which are on display at the deYoung so that visitors can interact with my proxy experiences and then go see the originals. As a first step, last week I spent a few hours at the deYoung exploring the collection.

image of a marble sculpture
Helen of California, by Haig Patigian

image of an oill painting of gumball machines
Three Machines, by Wayne Thiebaud

I have decided to focus my explorations for the pop up at the deYoung on two pieces, Helen of California, by Haig Patigian, and Three Machines, by Wayne Thiebaud.

No comments:

Post a Comment